Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.Cities, Towns & Comm
Maxon is a rail siding and former station stop on the Southern Pacific twenty-nine miles southeast of Marathon in eastern Brewster County.
Progress City, a nonexistent town in Brewster County, was invented by swindlers to dupe residents of other parts of Texas into buying town lots. On February 8, 1910, the Brewster County grand jury, with Joseph D. Jackson as foreman, called the plot to the attention of Judge W. C. Douglas of the Brewster County District Court in Alpine.
Study Butte is a community on State Highway 118 five miles east of Terlingua in southwestern Brewster County.
The name Terlingua has been applied to three different settlements in southwestern Brewster Country. The original site was a Mexican village on Terlingua Creek three miles above the confluence with the Rio Grande.
Tesnus is a rail siding on the Southern Pacific Railroad twenty-three miles southeast of Marathon in eastern Brewster County.
Toronto was at one time a siding on the Southern Pacific Railroad near the summit of Paisano Pass five miles west of Alpine in northwestern Brewster County.
Caldwell 1858. Caldwell, the county-seat, is a pleasant, healthy, and flourishing village, situated on the San Antonio road, about eleven miles west of the Brazos ; it contains seven dry goods and other stores, and fortunately but one place where liquor is sold.
Fort Tenoxtitlán, constructed in 1830 in what is now northeastern Burleson County, was part of a chain of military garrisons designed to Mexicanize Texas and stanch immigration from the United States pursuant to the Law of April 6, 1830. On June 25, 1830, Lt. Col.
Location : Snook, TX 30° 29' 19.7376" N, 96° 27' 51.876" W See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest
Location : Somerville, TX 30° 20' 45.7548" N, 96° 31' 41.8872" W See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest
LocationGranite Shoals, TX 30° 35' 13.0236" N, 98° 22' 54.0012" W
Indianola History from the Handbook of Texas Online.A History of Indianola, by Lelia Seelingson. Brief history of Indianola, beginning with the arrival of La Salle. Read the book online from The Portal to Texas History.
Oplin, located in far southwestern Callahan County at the intersection of Highway 604 and FM 2926. The town was settled in the 1890s and received a post office in 1903.
Belle Plain (also referred to as Belle Plaine), is located six miles southeast of Baird off of Hwy 283. The townsite was laid out in 1875 and it was intended that Belle Plaine would become a commercial center for the county.
Cottonwood, on Farm Road 880 eight miles northwest of Cross Plains in southeastern Callahan County, was originally settled by J. W. Love in 1875 or 1876 and named for cottonwood trees growing in the area.
Clyde is an incorporated community on Interstate Highway 20 and Farm Road 604, five miles west of Baird and eight miles east of Abilene in northwestern Callahan County.
The county seat moved from Belle Plain to Baird in 1883, and a courthouse, designed by noted architect F.E. Ruffini, was built at this site. The county hired another noted architect, J. Riely Gordon, in 1900 for a larger courthouse; J.E. Flanders was the supervising architect.
Cross Plains, at the junction of State highways 36 and 206 in southeastern Callahan County, was established as a post office in 1877. The settlement had previously been known as Turkey Creek and Schleicher.
Admiral established in the late 1890s, was granted a post office in 1897; Henry L. Buchin, an early settler, became the first postmaster. During the first quarter of the twentieth century Admiral developed into a thriving farming town.
Baird Is the county seat of Callahan County. It is a division point on the Texas & Pacific Railroad and has the shops of the division, which adds many hundreds to the population of the town and contributes very largely to the business of the city.
Location : Skellytown, TX 35° 34' 22.0008" N, 101° 10' 21" W, See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest
Anahuac.—This was formerly a military post town established by order of Gen. Teran, on the northeast corner of Galveston Bay.
Tecula is located at the intersection of Hwy 135 and FM 2064, northeast of Jacksonville in central Cherokee County.
Mixon, once called Pine Springs, is at the intersection of Highway 135 and Farm Roads 2493 and 3052, twenty miles north of Rusk in northern Cherokee County.
Maydelle History 1934. Although the town itself is little more than two decades old, the Maydelle section had settlers in the '40s [1840s]. Among its pioneers were the Herndons, Odoms, McCrackens, Meadors, Allens, Dendys, Brigmans, Wallaces, Balls, Shermans, Roaches, Watsons, Boltons, Moores, and Poseys.
Ponta had its beginning in 1901 in the would-be village of Donoho, so named because of its location on the Donoho survey.
One of the oldest is Sardis, originally settled by a band of South Carolinians, including the Berrys, Martins, Colemans, Nickersons, and Jennings, and noted for its community spirit and singing schools.
Larissa. In 1846 a group of Tennesseeans, led by Thomas H. McKee, established what became known as McKee Colony in the northwest part of the county, near the Killough settlement.
Knoxville History 1934. A second group of Tennesseeans, settling in the northeast part of the county, on the Engledow survey, in the late '40s, named the village, which soon sprang into existence.
Kilraven, also known as Spinks Switch, Spinks Mill, and Morton, was on the old Cotton Belt line and Jim Hogg Highway midway between Forest and Wells in southern Cherokee County. Map location (above) approximate.
Jacksonville of today, the largest town in the county, is the second Cherokee town to bear the name.
Pine Grove is off Farm roads 747 and 2138 twelve miles northwest of Rusk in western Cherokee County.
Alto History 1934. In 1849 the original town site of Alto (a form of the Latin word for high), so named by Captain Henry Berryman because of its location on the dividing ridge between the Angelina and the Neches rivers
Jacksonville of today, the largest town in the county, is the second Cherokee town to bear the name.
Henry's Chapel Community. In 1848, Presbyterian minister William Porter Henry (1820-1875) moved from Alabama to northeastern Cherokee County, where he preached throughout his life.
Dialville, first called Dial, was named for J. J. Dial, a pioneer settler who donated the town site.
Rusk. Founded 1846. Named for Republic of Texas Statesman Thomas J. Rusk. Industrial site and supply depot in the Civil War.
Reklaw History 1934. Reklaw, which bears the surname of the owner of the town site, Margaret L. Walker, spelled in reverse order, was established as a result of the building of the Texas and New Orleans Railroad.
Mt. Selman History 1934. In 1884 four Larissa citizens—Doctor R. D. Bone, J. W. Wade, W. T. and J. N. McKee—bought homesteads on the newly-built railroad, now the Cotton Belt, and called the settlement Selman for Doctor Selman, the former owner of the land.
Wildhurst is located at the intersection of FM 1911 and FM 1247, north of Forest in southern Cherokee County.
Location: Bellevue, TX 33° 38' 11.3748" N, 98° 0' 50.1408" W See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest
Talpa was originally a Santa Fe Railroad switching point. The original town was mapped out in the early part of 1900, consisting of 130 blocks, varying from eight, nine, ten, and twenty lots per block.
Settlement of this area began in the 1850s with the establishment of Camp Colorado, a United States cavalry outpost. At the outbreak of the Civil War the camp was occupied by Texas State Troops and Texas Ranger units.
Oldest town in county; founded about 1855 as a cowboy trading post for ranching activities of cattle baron John Chisum.
Burkett is located on Pecan Bayou, on State Highway 206 between Coleman and Cross Plains. The town was named in 1886 for its first postmaster, William Burkett, after the community's original name, Pleasant Valley was rejected by the Post Office.
Coleman County was organized in 1867. The landscape in this area included high grasses, pecan and live oak trees. Deer, turkey, bear and antelope roamed freely.
Whon, located in far southeastern Coleman County is at the junction of FM 2633 and County Road 224/226.
Coleman County has only had one courthouse, although it might look like there were two courthouses. The original brick courthouse was built in 1884. It was remodeled into a modern brick building in 1952.
The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad established a railway line about eight miles southwest of Coleman in 1904.
Echo is located on Highway 206, about ten miles northeast of Coleman. Echo was first settled in the 1870s; the name comes from the Echo Ranch that was settled in the area in the 1880s.
First Christian Church of Santa Anna. Founded in 1894, this congregation worshiped in various places until members purchased this lot in 1900 and began construction of their own building.
Coleman, the county seat of Coleman County, is at the located at the intersection of Highways 84 and 283 and Farm Road 53 in the central part of the county. Coleman, named for the county, was for many years called Coleman City.
Gouldbusk, located in south central Coleman County, is twenty miles south of Coleman on FM 1026. In the early 1900s, Gouldbusk had a cotton gin that operated 24 hours a day, sending 50 to 100 bales of cotton that weighted about 500 lbs each, to the railroad each day.
Location: Novice, TX 31° 59' 22.5132" N, 99° 37' 25.2696" W See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest
Alleyton. Oldest permanent settlement and once largest town in Colorado County. Established by the pioneer Alley family (Willliam, John, Rawson, Thomas and Abraham), all members of Austin's original 300 settlers.
Town of Weimar. This land--once part of first Anglo-American colony in Texas--grew into a townsite in 1873 with coming of the Galveston, Harrisburg, & San Antonio rail line.
Location: 29° 34' 9.48" N, 96° 27' 51.264" W See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest
Location: Newburg, TX 31° 47' 12.5412" N, 98° 31' 19.1568" W See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest
Location: Duster, TX 32° 6' 16.992" N, 98° 40' 35.004" W See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest
Location: Paint Rock, TX 31° 30' 30.5676" N, 99° 55' 12.2808" W See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest
Location: Eden, TX 31° 12' 58.5936" N, 99° 50' 44.2608" W See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest
Pidcoke Baptist Church. Organized in 1884 as Harmony Baptist Church, this congregation began with four charter members.
The town of Evant traces its history to an earlier settlement in this area. Langford Cove, founded in 1855 by Asa Langford (1820-1970), was located adjacent to and partly within the south boundary of the present town of Evant.
In collaboration with C. J. Shook, Bill Gasoway lived in what is now known as Cunningham Cove in the winter of 1866-67.
Settlers, including many from Tennessee, arrived in the area around Rainey's Creek in the early 1850s.
This is a post Civil War town, although there were many settlements there in the 1850's.
Residents of the Osage community began using this site as a burial place about the mid-1870s, soon after area settlement began.
County seat of Coryell County, Gatesville began in 1854 after the county was created. Richared Grant, an Indian trader and local landowner, donated the townsite.
The Cee Vee community dates to 1926, with earlier ties to cattlemen Clairborne Varner and Charles Goodnight, who grazed herds in the area using the C V brand.
Drought conditions in the early 1900s prompted local rancher W. Q. Richards in 1903-04 to subdivide land in this area into small farms complete with water wells.
Paducah History 1922. Paducah was incorporated in 1910, and now has a population of something over 2,000 people.
Before Culberson County Court House was built, the Cox building (now belonging to the Clark family) was a temporary place for the County Officers.
Mount Blanco is on the Caprock escarpment off Farm Road 193 fifty-five miles northeast of Lubbock in northern Crosby County.
Emma is located west of Highway 207 and north of County Road 188, about 25 miles east of Lubbock.
Crosbyton, county seat of Crosby County, is on U.S. Highway 82 on the Llano Estacado a few miles west of Blanco Canyon and thirty-six miles east of Lubbock.
Lorenzo is located on U.S. Highway 82 twenty miles east of Lubbock in Crosby County.
Cone is located on U.S. Highway 62 at County Road 193, thirty-four miles northeast of Lubbock in Crosby County.
Ralls is at the junction of U.S. highways 62 and 82 and State Highway 207, twenty-seven miles east of Lubbock in west central Crosby County.
The town of Dalhart was incorporated in 1902, and immediately thereafter began the development of a real town, based on city building methods.
Ben Franklin is located on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad and Farm roads 38 and 128 four miles northeast of Pecan Gap in northwestern Delta County.
Location: Lakewood Village, TX 33° 8' 33.432" N, 96° 58' 10.0236" W See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest
Location: Nordheim, TX 28° 55' 15.924" N, 97° 36' 34.9884" W See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest
Location: Benavides, TX 27° 35' 56.1084" N, 98° 24' 29.0376" W See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest
First settlers--families of Andrew Agnew, Isaac Agnew, Fletcher Fields, David McKinley, Allis Smith and W. W. Smith--arrived in a wagon train from Gregg County, Jan. 6, 1876.
William and Ben Funderburg pre-empted the land on which Desdemona is built.
Scranton Academy. A private, coeducational school organized in 1903 to augment Scranton Public School (opened 1887).
First building erected in this once-thriving community was a one-room log schoolhouse, 1886.
Cisco History 1922. Cisco has gained the reputation of being one of the cleanest and most healthful cities in the state, and its citizens are notably progressive.
Tradition holds that Captain A.M. Curry suggested the name for the Pioneer community, established in 1883.
Location: Nimrod, TX 32° 16' 20.4816" N, 99° 3' 9.2412" W See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest
The Texas and Pacific railway built the Delmar Depot near here in 1880 before rail activity shifted to Red Gap (later Cisco).
First school session in new town of Rocksprings was held in a frame house surrounded by a strong rock wall, in winter of 1891-92.
Built by John L. Nix (1842-1915) to cut rawhide lumber, grind corn and wheat, and gin cotton. Upper floor housed gin; lower, grist mill.
Location: Italy, TX 32° 11' 2.5368" N, 96° 53' 4.9884" W See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest
Winchester is on a line of the Southern Pacific Railroad twenty miles northwest of La Grange in northwest Fayette County.
Praha is situated about three miles east of Flatonia, south of the Southern Pacific. Railroad, on the Jesse.
Engle lies midway between Schulenburg and Flatonia on the Southern Pacific Railroad.