Edwards County

Barksdale, Texas



Edwards County

Site of Nix Mill. Built by John L. Nix (1842-1915) to cut rawhide lumber, grind corn and wheat, and gin cotton. Upper floor housed gin; lower, grist mill. On east side was sawmill with wood furnace and boiler to furnish steam power. Furnace was fed cedar and oak wood. Spanish oaks, white oaks, and elms from Nueces River watercourse were sawed into the rawhide lumber from which were built town's wagon yard, feed stalls, a dance hall, and other structures. After Nix, successive owners were J. L. Jackson, W. D. Hutcherson, Edward Miller, Matthew Taylor, and O. C. Henderson. - Historical Marker Text.  Marker erected 1972. Located .5 miles north of the Nueces River on SH 55; Barksdale.

First Baptist Church of Barksdale. The Barksdale Baptist Church became the first Baptist church in the community in 1883 with a membership of nineteen. Traditionally, baptisms have been held at the nearby Nueces River Crossing. A frame sanctuary on this site served the needs of the church from 1906 until it was replaced by this structure in 1943. H.L. Wood of Barksdale began construction of the building, which was completed by congregation members. The rectangular plan, front-gabled church with covered entry features a native stone veneer, exposed rafter ends and double-hung wood windows. An original bell tower was later removed. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2008.  Located at 118 CR 380.


29° 43' 34.176" N, 100° 2' 9.492" W

See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest

Check out these popular Texas Cities!





What is our community saying about Austin, Texas