Whon, located in far southeastern Coleman County is at the junction of FM 2633 and County Road 224/226. The community was first settled in 1899 by Sam and Bertha McCain, who later gave land for the cemetery and for the gin, church and stores that were built in Whon. For years, the church was used by all denominations, but was licensed as a Baptist Church. Surnames of other early settlers were Gill, Ripley, Robertson, Holmes, Ramsey, Freeman, Turney, Shields, Simmons and Trotter.
By the 1920s, Whon had a cotton gin, a public school and teacherage, two churches, and a number of stores and businesses. The countryside along the Colorado River south of Whon was a popular hangout for bootleggers during Prohibition.
31° 29' 25.584" N, 99° 18' 22.176" W