Coleman County, Texas
Coleman County is located in west central Texas, and is bordered on the south by the Colorado River, on the north by Taylor and Callahan counties, on the west by Runnels County, and on the east by Brown County.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Atoka | Burkett | Coleman - county seat | Echo | Fisk (Togo) | Glencove | Goldsboro | Gouldbusk | Leaday | Mozelle | Novice | Rockwood (Camp Creek Colony, Discord) | Santa Anna (Gap) | Shield (Double Gates) | Silver Valley | Talpa | Trickham | Valera | Voss | Webbville | White Chapel | Whon
In 1870 Coleman County had less than 350 population, while in 1910 its inhabitants numbered over 22,000. A few cattlemen and their followers, a few ranch houses, and large herds of stock grazing on the open range, measured the development of the county in the first years. During the first ten years of the present century the county more than doubled in population, and the increase of its material wealth was even greater. It is now a county of farms, substantial towns and diversified business interests. In the summer of 1856 Maj. Van Dorn, of the United States Army, afterwards distinguished as a general in the Confederacy, established Camp Colorado on Jim Ned Creek in what is now Coleman County. Some remains of the stone and wooden buildings of this post still exist. Maj. Van Dorn kept a detachment of the Second Cavalry there for two or three years. The presence of the garrison attracted a few settlers, though they made no permanent improvements. The county was on the extreme frontier, and both the regular soldiers and the Texas Rangers patrolled throughout this district. Camp Colorado was abandoned after the war.
In early Texas had Apache, Comanche, Kiowa camps and mountain lookouts. White settlement began at Camp Colorado, U.S. 2nd Cavalry Post on Jim Ned Creek, 1857. County was created Feb. 1, 1858. Named for Robert M. Coleman (1799-1837), a signer of Texas Declaration of Independence and a hero of the Battle of San Jacinto. To south part of county, 1862, came John Chisum, to raise cattle to be furnished to Confederate troops fighting Civil War. County was organized Oct. 6, 1864. Courts first met at Camp Colorado. Coleman was approved as county seat April 28, 1876. - Historical Marker text. Marker erected 1936.
Camp Colorado. Surrendered as U.S. outpost beginning Civil War. Became part frontier defense line from Red River to Rio Grande. Headquarters first Texas Mounted Rifles 1861 and Texas Frontier Regiment 1863. Manned by troops and Rangers in state and C.S.A. service to war's end. Valuable duty performed while patrolling and scouting to curb Indian raids and in rounding up draft evaders, deserters. Camp life difficult with constant peril of Indian attack, shortage food, ammunition, supplies and horses. Located 12 miles northeast. A memorial to Texans who served the Confederacy. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected by the State of Texas 1963.
Ruins of Camp Colorado. Originally established on the Colorado River by the United States Army as a protection for the frontier against hostile Indians; moved in August, 1856, to this site; abandoned by Federal troops February 26, 1861. The site became the property in 1870 of Henry Sackett (1851-1928), who built his home here in 1879. From here he, with Maltby's Rangers, in 1874, pursued the bands of Big Foot and Jape, Comanche chiefs, and defeated them.- Historical Marker text. Marker erected 1936.
Coleman County Jail. Second county jail. (First was a small 1879 structure on lawn of courthouse.) Erected in 1890, this building is a good example of Victorian jail architecture with some traces of Romanesque Revival. Belting at ground and second floors a notable detail. Lower floor contains living quarters for the jailer. Upper floor houses both maximum and minimum security cells. Only one person, a convicted murderer, was ever hanged here. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970
Coleman County has only had one courthouse, although it might look like there were two courthouses. The original brick courthouse was built in 1884. It was remodeled into a modern brick building in 1952.
Coleman, TX 31° 49' 38.5248" N, 99° 25' 35.2308" W