Fayette County, Texas
Fayette County, located on Interstate 10 sixty miles southeast of Austin in the Blackland Prairies region of south central Texas, is bordered by eight counties — on the north by Lee County, on the northeast by Washington County, on the east by Austin County, on the southeast by Colorado County, on the south by Lavaca County, on the southwest by Gonzales County, on the west by Caldwell County and on the northwest by Bastrop County. La Grange is the county seat and largest community.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Ammannsville | Armstrong | Bethany | Biegel | Black Jack Springs | Bluff | Blum Hill | Bridge Valley | Buckner’s Creek | Burnham’s Crossing | Carmine (Sylvan) | Cedar (Cockrill’s Hill , Whiteside’s Prairie) | Center Grove | Cistern | Colony | Colorado City | Dubina | Ellinger | Elm Grove | Engle | Fayetteville | Flatonia | Foy | Ford’s Prairie | Franke | Freyburg | Gay Hill | Halsted | Haw Creek | High Hill | Holman (Pecan) | Hostyn | Hostyn Hill | Hottentot | Indian Creek | Ingram’s Prairie | Joiner | Kirtley | Kocicina | La Grange – county seat | Ledbetter | Lena | Leevan | Lewis Settlement | Live Oak Hill | Lyons | Manton Spring | Marly | Mecklenburg | Middle Creek | Miller’s Station | Moravan | Mulberry | Muldoon | Mullins Prairie | Nassau | Navidad | Nechanitz | O’Quinn | Oldenburg | Orizaba | Oso | Park | Pin Oak | Pine Springs | Pisek | Plum | Praha | Prairie Valley | Primm | Rabb’s Prairie | Rek Hill | Rocky Ridge | Ross Prairie | Round Top | Roznov | Rutersville | St. John | Schulenburg | Scott | Sedan | Stella | Stellar | Swiss Alp | Tamberg | Toledo | Waldeck (Long Prairie) | Walhalla | Warda | Warrenton | Wendt | West Point | Winchester | Winedale | Wood’s Fort | Wursten | Zapalac | Zapp (Willow Springs)
The first private schools opened in the county as early as 1834. Academies and institutes were operated in La Grange, Fayetteville, and Round Top in the 1840s. The Methodists founded Rutersville College, one of the first colleges in Texas, in 1840; it consolidated with the Texas Military Institute, Galveston, in 1856. The earliest churches organized in the county were Methodist (1838), Baptist (1839), Presbyterian (1841), and Episcopal (1852). Most of the early settlers were from the Old South, but the Austin Colony also included a few German immigrants. In 1832 Joseph Biegel received title to a league in the area and developed the first German community in the county, Biegel Settlement.
La Grange, TX 29° 54′ 19.8108″ N, 96° 52′ 35.9292″ W
See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest