Hartley County, Texas
Hartley County, in the northwestern part of the Panhandle, is bordered on the west by New Mexico, on the north by Dallam County, on the east by Moore County, and on the south by Oldham County. The county seat, Channing, is about fifty miles northwest of Amarillo and about thirty miles south of Dalhart, which straddles the Hartley-Dallam county line.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Hartley County 1922. The county was organized February 9, 1891. In 1888 the Fort Worth & Denver City Railway was constructed across the eastern half of the county, and in 1900 the Rock Island Road was built across the northwest corner of the Panhandle, with about forty-five miles of its track in Hartley County. Besides the county seat at Channing, on the Fort Worth & Denver, other towns are Hartley, Romero and Middlewater. The prosperous little city of Dalhart, at the junction of these two railways, is located near the north line of the county. Continue Reading Hartley County History Written in 1922 >>
The Book of Years: A History of Dallam and Hartley Counties, 1969, by Lillie Mae Hunter.
The XIT Ranch of Texas and the Early Days of the Llano Estacado, 1929, by J. Evetts Haley.
Hartley County was created in 1876 from the Bexar Land District, but was not organized until 1891. The town of Hartley was selected as the county seat. In 1896, the county seat moved to Channing, where it remains. The first courthouse was a frame structure in Hartley. It was disassembled and moved to Channing in 1896. In 1906, a two-story brick courthouse opened in Channing.
Channing, TX 35° 41′ 1.1544″ N, 102° 19′ 48.702″ W