Parker County, Texas
Cities, Towns and Communities
Adell | Aledo (Parker’s Station) | Annetta (Anneta) | Authon | Azle (mostly in Tarrant County) | Baker | Balch | Bethesda | Brock (Olive Branch) | Bruckner | Carter | Cool | Cresson (partly in Hood County & Johnson County) | Dennis | Fondren | Garner | Greenwood | Hiner | Hudson Oaks | Lemley | Millsap | New Hope | Newberry | Parsons Station | Peaster | Poe Prairie | Poolville | Reno | Sanctuary | Soda Springs | Spring Creek | Springtown | Tin Top (Smith, Irby) | Veal’s Station | Walker Bend | Weatherford – county seat | Whitt | Willow Park
Parker County 1858. This is a newly organized and settled county, on the Upper Brazos, and above the line of the Pacific railroad. A desirable region for small farmers — which need of praise is alike due to all of the adjoining counties.
Weatherford, a new town, and the county-seat, is rapidly increasing. Not twelve months ago, the site was laid out : there are already a court-house, and several other public buildings, one hotel, several stores, private dwelling-houses, and other marks of civilization. The town is pleasantly situated, in the “Upper Cross Timbers,” and is well supplied with good water, and with an abundance of timber. There is a fine chalybeate spring about one-fourth of a mile from the public square : it is said to possess valuable medical properties.
Parker County History 1922. Parker County was created from portions of Navarro and Bosque counties on December 12, 1855, and was organized March, 1856. The act creating the county directed that county courts, when chosen, should order an election for the location of the seat of justice, the site selected to be called Weatherford. The first settlement followed soon after the establishment of the military post at Fort Worth in 1849. For twenty years the county was on the frontier and exposed to the hostile raids of the Indians. For several years after the organization of the county the settlers had little trouble, but the removal of a large part of the Texas Indians beyond Red River was followed by a persistent warfare along the fringes of settlement. In 1859 an attack was made on the town of Weatherford, when Mrs. Sherman was killed and scalped. During the Civil war the danger from such raids never abated, and as late as 1873 an Indian incursion was made into Parker County.
During the comparative security of the early ’50s settlement was rapid. The population in 1858 was estimated at 3,507, including a small number of slaves, (160).
Weatherford, TX 32° 45′ 33.4656″ N, 97° 47′ 50.1144″ W