Grandview. Settled in 1850 on land grant from Governor Elisha M. Pease. Supplies were hauled by ox wagon from Houston. A visitor exclaimed, "What a grand view!" Which gave community its name. Church organized 1853. Post office opened in 1856. Masonic lodge (county's first) founded 1860. Town moved to this site, on Missouri-Kansas-Texas rail line, in 1883. Incorporated in 1891. Home of Grand View Collegiate Institute 1897-1907. Devastating 1920 fire razed 135 homes, schools, churches, and businesses. Town name changed to Grandview (one word) in 1925. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1970. Located at the Community Center, 206 Crier Street, Grandview.
Grandview Cemetery and Original Grand View Town Site. John Whitmire, the son-in-law of early settler F. L. Kirtley, is credited with naming this town in 1854 by saying, "What a Grand View!" Kirtley donated 2.5 acres for a Baptist church and cemetery in 1856. Intending to lay out a town plat, James F. Scurlock purchased about 1400 acres of land surrounding the cemetery the same year. The oldest marked burial here is that of James F. and Rebecca Criner Scurlock's child, James C., who was born and died on June 4, 1857. By 1860 Grand View included three general stores, a blacksmith shop, a church building and Lodge No. 266, A.F & A.M., chartered in 1861 as the first Masonic lodge in Johnson County. After James Scurlock's death during the Civil War, his family sold the town site to F. M. Sansom. Several stores, a saloon, and more churches were established as the community grew. Of the many graves in the cemetery, one has taken on the status of local legend. A pair of young travelers came to Grand View one evening in summer 1867. The young woman was found murdered the next morning with no sign of her companion. The people of the community buried her in a handmade coffin and marked her tombstone "Annie," the name on an embroidered handkerchief she carried. The African American section of the cemetery contains the graves of many residents, including the unmarked graves of Scott and Elmira Matlock. They were among Grand View's earliest settlers. The railroad came through about a mile southeast of the town in 1881, and by 1883 the main section of Grand View had moved to it. The cemetery gradually took over the entire old town site. The cemetery continued to serve the community, now known by the single word "Grandview." The cemetery and the original town site remain as a chronicle of the pioneers of Johnson County. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1999. Located on FM 4, just E of CR 401.
Grandview Masonic Lodge. Chartered on Jun. 14, 1861, the Grandview Masonic Lodge is Johnson County’s oldest lodge in continuous operation. It originally shared a building with the Methodist Church near current Grandview Cemetery. The lodge later relocated with the town to property owned jointly with the church, whose interest was later purchased by the masons. This building was sold in 1893, and a new one was erected at the present location. A fire in 1920 destroyed the building, but another was soon constructed. Since its first meeting on Dec. 8, 1860, the lodge has been essential to advancing freemasonry in the area. Today, members participate in various community activities and scholarships. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 2011. Located at 101 3rd St., Grandview.
Grandview, TX 32° 16' 13.53" N, 97° 10' 45.0336" W
See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest