Dublin is on U.S. highways 67 and 377 in southwest Erath County.
Dublin was founded in 1854 by A. H. Dobkins and named in 1860, probably for the warning cry at Indian raids, "Double In," for the capital of Ireland, or for the double-log cabins used by early settlers. Growth increased in 1874 as Dublin acquired stagecoach service and a post office. In 1881 the Texas Central Railroad was built through to Mount Airy, a few miles from Dublin. J. D. Bishop laid out a townsite on the line four miles south of Mount Airy, which drew residents from old to new Dublin. Within a year the new Dublin had forty-five businesses and sixty-five homes, so the railroad moved its depot from Mount Airy to new Dublin. The town was incorporated on March 18, 1889. By 1890 the population was 2,025. It was 2,370 in 1900, 2,271 in 1930, 2,746 in 1950, 2,810 in 1970, 2,723 in 1980, and 3,190 in 1990. The town is a center for agriculture and industry, including oil and gas production, clothing factories, peanut shelling and drying plants, feed mills, milk processing, saddle and rope making, and metal stamping. Dublin has two city parks, the Lyon Museum, a public library, a hospital, and a nursing home. It also has an airport, two railroads, a golf course, and recreational facilities at Proctor Reservoir. The town was one of the first in the state to have streetcars. It is the birthplace of golfer Ben Hogan, home of a world-championship rodeo, and the former home of the annual Grand Army of the Republic reunion. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.
Dublin History 1922. In 1884 the town of Dublin was incorporated for school purposes. R. H. McCain was the first mayor and J. E. Bishop first marshal. In 1879 the first surveying party of the Texas Central Railroad passed The railroad company decided to establish a depot at Mount Airy, four and one-half miles west of Dublin. The citizens of Dublin did not move, but laid out a town along the railroad and began to build. In 1889 the Fort Worth & Rio Grande Railway was built into Dublin. Continue Reading Dublin History Written in 1922 >>
Dublin, Texas Sixth Grade Class 1908