Stephenville History 1922. The city of Stephenville was established about the year 1860 and was named for Col. John M. Stephen, one of its very earliest settlers. who acquired the John Blair survey, on which the town site is located. There are a number of persons residing there who are descendants of Colonel Stephen, some of whom are J. M. McNeill and S. J. McNeill and the family of the late James M. Stephen, who recently died there after a residence of sixty-four years.
The town has undergone a gradual growth until it is now a prosperous and thriving city, keeping its step with the general progress of the state of which it forms a part. Its population is 3,891, as shown by the last census report. John Tarleton Junior A. & M. College has recently been established in the town, which institution is a branch of the A. & M. College of Texas.
In addition to the John Tarleton Junior A. & M. College. there are two public school buildings, with satisfactory attendance.
There are six churches, four banks, one oil refinery, one flour mill. one cottonseed oil mill, four cotton gins, one machine shop and an active Chamber of Commerce, which gives diligent attention to all matters calculated to increase the growth and progress of the town. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.