Red River County, Texas
Red River County is separated from Oklahoma by the Red River and from Arkansas by Bowie County. Clarksville, the county seat and largest town, is sixty miles northwest of Texarkana.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Annona (Walker Station) | Avery | Bagwell | Bogata | Clarksville – county seat| Detroit | Deport (mostly in Lamar County) | English | Madras (La Grange) | Maple
Red River County’s current courthouse was built in 1885. It is the fifth courthouse to serve the county. Earlier courthouses were built in 1830 in Jonesboro, 1840 in La Grange (now Madras), and 1852-1853 in Clarksville.
Red River County Courthouse. Records date from 1836. Fifth courthouse for county. Built 1885. Italian Renaissance design. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark. Historical marker text, 1966.
Gateway to Texas, History of Red River County, by Martha Sue Stroud.
Reflections of Red River County 1830’s-1890 by Marion Butts.
Burials, Cemetery and Death Records for Red River County, Texas by Lawrence and Sue Dale.
Bible Records of Red River County, Texas Genealogical Members, Volume 1.
Bible Records of the following families: Meyer, Lee, Turk, Myers, McCain, Low, Jones, McCuiston, Hall, Johnson, Pinson, Young, Strawn, Turner, Rose, Seale, Smith, Claiborne, Williams, Dyers, Strange, Benton and Hufford. Available from the Red River County Texas Genealogical Society.
Clarksville, TX 33° 36′ 38.394″ N, 95° 3′ 9.7992″ W
See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest