Lubbock County, located in Northwest Texas on the Southern High Plains, is surrounded by Hale County on the north, Crosby County on the east, Lynn County on the south and Hockley County on the west. Lubbock, the county seat and largest city, is 327 miles northwest of Dallas and 122 miles south of Amarillo.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Abernathy (partly in Hale County) | Acuff | Becton | Buffalo Springs | Estacado | Heckville | Idalou | Lubbock – county seat | New Deal | Posey | Ransom Canyon | Reese Center | Roosevelt | Shallowater | Slaton | Slide | Wolfforth | Woodrow
Lubbock County. Formal organization of Lubbock County came on March 10, 1891, when an election was held for the purpose and Lubbock was made the county seat. The town had been put together by a group of town promoters led by Frank E. Wheelock and W. E. Rayner, who, in a burst of cooperation somewhat unusual for contending town promoters, compromised their differences and in December 1890 united their competing settlements, Monterey and old Lubbock, into the single town of Lubbock. The new county was named for Col. Thomas S. Lubbock, former Texas Ranger, Confederate officer, and brother of a former governor. At the time the county was formally organized, Lubbock was the only settlement except for Estacado, which was on the eastern boundary. During the 1890s the county grew as farmers moved out onto the plains, so that by 1900 the census reported 293 residents. With its chief asset being land, the county slowly changed its emphasis from stock raising to farming. County ranches like the IOA fell prey to drought and poor cattle prices during the nineties and began to sell off their acreages. By the first decade of the twentieth century farming was increasing rapidly.
Lubbock County History 1922. A few years ago Lubbock had nothing to distinguish it particularly from other counties in the Staked Plains region. Its large area supported a meager population of stockmen, there were no railroads, and the only thing to attract new settlers was the grazing of pasture lands. The last decade has witnessed many remarkable changes. In 1907 a branch of the Pecos & Northern Texas Railway was completed from Canyon City as far as Plainview, and by the spring of 1910 trains were operating from Plainview south to Lubbock. During 1910 construction work was being rapidly pushed on the Texico-Coleman cut-off of the Santa Fe, passing through Lubbock County and Lubbock City. This road was completed by 1911, and about the same time a branch was extended east from Lubbock, known as the Crosbyton & South Plains Railroad.
Lubbock, TX 33° 34′ 40.3068″ N, 101° 51′ 18.6012″ W