Houston County, the first county established by the Republic of Texas is located in the East Texas Timberlands region. It is bordered on the north by Anderson County, on the east by Cherokee, Angelina, and Trinity counties, on the south by Walkerand Madison counties, and on the west by Leon County.
Cities, Towns & Communities
In 1837 the boundaries of Houston County were laid out and its government was organized. It was named for President Sam Houston, who signed the order establishing the county on June 12, 1837. Upon its formation from Nacogdoches County in 1837, Houston County included the territory that later became Trinity and Anderson counties and part of Henderson County. Land was donated for the county seat by Andrew E. Gossett, who named it for his father’s friend and former Tennessee neighbor, David Crockett. Collin Aldrich was first chief justice; George Aldrich, county surveyor; James Madden, sheriff; and Stephen White, clerk of the district court.
During the early years of the county’s existence, there were frequent hostile encounters between settlers and Indians. In October 1838 an Indian band attacked the home of John Edens on San Pedro Creek, where a number of women and children had taken refuge while the men of the area were away combatting the Córdova Rebellion. In what became known as the Edens-Madden massacre, more than a half dozen people were killed and a number of others were wounded. Many early families constructed forts or blockhouses for protection, but sporadic attacks continued until the early 1850s.
The History of Houston County, Texas, 1943 by Armistead Albert Aldrich.
History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979, 1979) by the Houston County Historical Commission.
Houston County in the Civil War, 1981 by Thomas Nelms Mainer.
The First Settlers of Houston County, Texas, 1983, by Gifford E. White.
Crockett, TX 31° 19′ 5.6496″ N, 95° 27′ 23.8104″ W