Burleson County, Texas
Cities, Towns and Communities
Birch | Caldwell | Chriesman | Clay | Cooks Point | Davidson | Deanville | Frenstat | Fort Tenoxtitlán | Goodwill | Gus | Harmony | Hix | Hogg | Lyons | Merle | Rita | Scofield | Snook | Somerville | Tunis | Wilcox
History of Burleston County Written in 1858. BURLESON COUNTY. This county lies north, and adjoining Washington County, and has been settled for many years ; the lands are fertile ; distance of county-seat from Galveston is 150 miles, and from Matagorda 150 miles. Though the crops of 1856 were short in this rich county, the farmers made a large amount of bacon, depending altogether on the oak mast ; farmers from other counties during the last fall drove many hogs here to fatten ; still there was an abundance of swine food for all. The lands of Burleson County are steadily advancing in value. Unimproved bottom lands are worth $10 per acre ; uplands are worth from two to three dollars per acre.
The “Old San Antonio road,” which divides Robertson and Brazos counties, east of the Brazos River, passes centrally through Burleson County from east to west. This county is also largely interested in stock-raising, and it is said that there are now at least $50,000 worth of beeves ready for market.
Caldwell, the county-seat, is a pleasant, healthy, and flourishing village, situated on the San Antonio road, about eleven miles west of the Brazos ; it contains seven dry goods and other stores, and fortunately but one place where liquor is sold. There are good male and female schools, affording excellent opportunities of educating children. A Masonic Lodge, a Temple of Honor, and one of the most capacious and best built brick court-houses in the State ; also a Methodist and a Baptist church building. The population numbers about 300, who are moral in their habits, intelligent, and courteous to strangers. – Braman’s information about Texas, 1858
History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties Digital book online from the Portal to Texas History.
Caldwell, TX 30° 31′ 52.734″ N, 96° 41′ 34.908″ W