Rock Springs Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The Rev. James B. Sadler (1828-1911), a self-educated former slave, started this black congregation in 1870 and helped establish a separate black Presbytery in 1876. Worship services were held in a nearby brush arbor or in homes until the present structure was erected in 1890. This building also housed a community school for a time. The Rev. Sadler and his wife, Susan, owned the property until 1909. It was then deeded to church officers, who maintain the church and adjacent cemetery today. The congregation's annual homecoming is held in November. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1975. Location: from Valley Mills take FM 56 north, head east on FM 1637 about 4.5 miles to marker.
31° 41' 16.1196" N, 97° 24' 50.0364" W