Memphis County History 1922. Memphis is the county seat and has some 3,000 population. The city has all modern conveniences and improvements. Three $30,000 churches, a $50,000 high school, two ward schools, a Carnegie Library and an abundance of shade trees, with thirteen miles of sidewalk, make the town an ideal one. The best and purest water supply of the entire Panhandle furnishes Memphis with drinking water and an abundance for all other domestic purposes. This water flows from under the plains, coming out in the foothills five miles above Memphis and is brought to the city by gravity pipe line. No steam pressure is needed to force the water for fire protection. Three banks, three wholesale houses, together with the most up-to-date mercantile stores, give every required facility in business lines. Two grain elevators, oil mill, steam laundry and ice and electric plant guarantee every modern service. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.
Memphis, TX 34° 43' 29.1936" N, 100° 32' 2.4504" W