Ewing. The boom town of Ewing stood for two decades on the west bank of the Angelina River. Named for plantation owner James A. Ewing, the town was located near a rail line and virgin hardwood forests. In 1919 H. G. Bohlssen purchased a 100-acre tract of land and built a sawmill. A company town, Ewing grew rapidly and at its peak contained a post office, commissary, church/school, boarding house, and a population of 850. After many men left to serve in world War II or in war-related industries, the mill closed in December 1944. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1997. Located 17 mi. east of Lufkin on SH 103.
31° 21' 50.0724" N, 94° 30' 26.0676" W
See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest