Site of Buchanan. Johnson County's second seat of government. (Wardville, just west of Nolan River, at U.S. 67, was first). Buchanan, named for president-elect of the United States, was founded in December 1856 on 60-acre townsite donated by John P. Bailey. A jail (first for the county) and office for the district clerk were built 1858. But lack of a reliable water supply hindered town's growth. Later resurvey of county lines showed necessity for a new site. In 1867, Camp Henderson (renamed Cleburne, July 4, 1867) was chosen. Cemetery is only remaining trace of Old Buchanan townsite. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1972. Location: From Gudley take SH 171 north about 4 miles then go east on county road about 1/10 mile to cemetery. Private-no access (per Texas Historic Sites Atlas).
In 1856 [a second] county seat election was held, and a place called Bailey's, five miles northwest of Cleburne, was selected, and its name changed to Buchanan, in honor of the then President of the United States. Both of these [ Wardville and Buchanan] old county seat locations have long since ceased to be centers of population or trade.-
History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.
32° 24' 29.016" N, 97° 27' 2.916" W
See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest