City of Brownwood, 1922. According to the last census Brownwood has a population of 8,300. It is claimed by the residents that the actual population is over 10,000. The assessed valuation for 1920 was $10,300,000.
Among the industrial enterprises is the cotton compress, cotton oil mill, electric light plant and ice factory, four oil refineries, with a capacity of 2,000 barrels per day.
There are four banks, with a combined capital of $1,000,000. Its educational facilities are represented by two colleges and a public free school system which is operated nine months in the year.
It is a division point for both railroads entering the city, which give employment to about 150 men.
It is supplied with an abundance of natural gas coming from the wells twelve miles southwest of Brownwood, which supplies the city with fuel at the maximum rate of 50 cents per 1,000 feet. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.
Brownwood, TX 31° 42' 33.552" N, 98° 59' 28.1796" W
See map: Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest