Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Decatur, Texas

History

Decatur 1922. When Decatur was selected as the county seat of Wise County in 1857 there were half a dozen candidates for the location. They were Isbell Springs, about one and a half miles northwest of Decatur in the neighborhood of Henry Greathouse's home ; the Finley place, known as the Carpenter place, east of town ; Howell & Allen's store. Colonel Bishop, one of the early settlers, championed the town of Decatur, and he was backed by a number of the most aggressive citizens. After a hot contest Decatur received the plum. The Halsell Valley site had as its champion Sam Woody. Following the selection of Decatur as the county site, Mr. and Mrs. James Proctor deeded sixty acres of their 160 acres for the site. Colonel Bishop assumed active charge of the details of locating and laying out the town, which was to rest on the bald hill of the prairie. The details were made after the town of McKinney, in Collin County, which town Colonel Bishop had visited. Continue Reading Decatur History Written in 1922 >>

Location

Decatur, TX 33° 14' 3.4188" N, 97° 35' 10.1004" W