Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Vernon, Texas

History

Vernon 1922. Vernon is the wealthiest town per capita of eighteen cities of its class in Texas according to a survey of cities from 5,000 to 11,000 population, which survey has just been completed by the Vernon Chamber of Commerce. Vernon, with a population of 5,142, has a per capital wealth of $2,076. The per capita wealth is found by adding together the bank deposits as of January 1, 1920, and the city tax values and dividing the sum by the population as of January 1, 1920. The year 1920 has been the year of the greatest progress in the history of Vernon. There were more than $2,000;000 worth of building done in the city in 1920. Forty-one business buildings were built or added to, at a total cost of $777,000. Two hundred and fifty-two residences were constructed at an outlay of $1,254,500. These figures were obtained by an actual survey.

Vernon has the distinction of being one of the few towns in West Texas that did not show a loss in population in the last census. Vernon had in 1910, 3,195 people. In 1920 it had 5,142, a gain of 2,000 or 66%. This condition is attributed to the vast wealth of the people and to the sub-irrigated soil which enabled this county to weather the drouth better than some other counties.

Vernon is said to have the world-wide distinction of having a Chamber of Commerce which received the highest per capita support of any commercial organization on the globe. The annual income of the Chamber of Commerce is above $15,000, or more than $3 per capita. There are fifty blocks of paved streets, miles of sewer and water lines, one high school, three public ward schools, one parochial school, one business college. It has eight churches and two churches for negroes. In the Vernon Record, this city has the gold medal weekly paper of Texas. This publication has twice been awarded the medal. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.
 

Location

Vernon, TX 34° 9' 16.3116" N, 99° 15' 54.288" W