Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Wichita Falls, Texas

History

The city of Wichita Falls has always been the chief center of populations and in 1910 more than half the inhabitants of the county were located there. The population in 1890 was 1,987; in 1900, 2,480: in 1910, 8,200; and in 1920, 40,079. It is easily one of the most progressive and prosperous small cities of the state. Railroads gave it a start, and since then the presence of enterprising citizens and the abundance of such resources as oil and gas have brought about a city whose prosperity comes from its railway division points and shops, its extensive retail and wholesale trade, and its varied manufactures. The supply of natural gas, which is piped from the Petrolia field and sold to manufacturers at from four to eight cents a thousand feet, has brought several important industries from other cities and states to Wichita Falls. The city also is benefited by the daily production of more than 33,000 barrels of oil. At the beginning of 1914 the Chamber of Commerce enumerated more than forty manufacturing plants, most of which had been established within the last five years. These include a factory for the manufacture of auto trucks, a window glass factory, a bottle factory, a pottery, a fruit jar factory, flour mill, railroad shop, iron foundry, machine shops, ice factories, planing mills. brick and tile plants, broom factory, cotton compress, oil mills and many minor enterprises. Continue Reading Wichita Falls History Written in 1922 >>

Location

Wichita Falls, TX 33° 54' 49.3524" N, 98° 29' 36.1932" W