Wharton County History    

 

Wharton County, named for brothers William H. and John A. Wharton, is southwest of Houston on U.S. Highway 59 on the Coastal Plain of southeast Texas at the coastal bend. Wharton County comprises 1,086 square miles and is divided primarily between prairie and timber land. The Colorado River, which traverses the county from northwest to southeast, divides it roughly in half and flows through Wharton and Glen Flora. The county lands are drained by Mustang Creek in the extreme west, the Colorado River in the central portions, and the San Bernard River and West Bernard Creek in the eastern portions. Major creeks west of the Colorado River are the Blue and Jones creeks; those east of the Colorado River are the Peach and Caney creeks. Level to undulating plains rise toward the north and are marked by a timber belt of ash, pecan, live oak, and other varieties of hardwood trees along the river; closer to the Gulf, in an area referred to as Bay Prairie, prairie and bunch grasses, mesquite, and oak predominate. The upper northeastern portion, Lissie Prairie, is treeless with prairie and bunch grasses. The county is served by State Highway 60, U.S. Highway 90 A, Interstate Highway 59, and State Highway 71. The Southern Pacific and Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroads own the remaining rail lines in the county. The county's incorporated and largest communities are Wharton, the county seat, located at the center of the county (at 2919' N, 9606' W) east of the Colorado River, and El Campo, located west of the Colorado.

Read more about Wharton County from the Handbook of Texas Online

Houston Street, Wharton

click to enlarge

History

Wharton County History from Whartontex.com

Wharton County Naturalization records, 1904-1919 : index, 1880-1930 available on microfilm at the LDS Family History Center

 

Books about Wharton County

 

Wharton, Texas Flood of 1998

 

History & Restoration of the Wharton Depot

 

 

 

Historical Marker, Danevang

click to enlarge