Washington-on-the-Brazos, officially named Washington, in the upper northeastern corner of what is now Washington County.
Washington-on-the-Brazos, was a major political and commercial center in early Texas. The town was originally named Washington and began to be called Washington-on-the-Brazos or Old Washington only after the Civil War. Washington was one mile southwest of the junction of the Brazos and Navasota rivers, where the La Bahía Road crossed the Brazos River, seventy miles northwest of Houston and nearly 200 miles up the Brazos from the coast. The major part of the original townsite is at the intersection of Farm Road 912 and Park Road 12 within Washington-on-the-Brazos State Historical Site. Washington's historic townsite also includes the section of Washington that borders Washington-on-the-Brazos at the intersection of State Highway 105 and Farm Road 1155. In 1821 Andrew Robinson's family and other members of the Old Three Hundred settled near the future townsite. In 1856 the population reached 750. At the height of its development Washington had two newspapers, four churches, two hotels, a Masonic lodge, two Odd Fellows chapters, a market house, and a commercial section with brick buildings of two and three stories. Read More Washington-on-the-Brazos History from the Handbook of Texas Online >>
Washington-on-the-Brazos 1935. Washington is situated on the Brazos, in one of its bends, about fifty miles above San Felipe, and on the San Antonio road. It is quite a new town, but is increasing very rapidly, and already numbers fifty houses. It was designated by the Provisional Government as the future seat of government in Texas; and the sessions of the convention were removed there, in March of the present year. It is pleasantly and healthfully situated; and, with the numerous advantages which it enjoys, cannot fail to become an important point in Texas. - Texas by Holley, Mary Austin; Austin, Texas, 1935, page 118