Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Gay Hill, Texas

History

Gay Hill 1915. Old Gay Hill was once a place of note. Rev. James Weston Miller established, in 1850, there an excellent school for girls, entitled the Live Oak Female Seminary. For many years it was an important seat of learning. Old Gay Hill boasted of fine Baptist, Cumberland and Old School Presbyterian churches, and Rev. Miller was pastor of the latter. It was a place of matchless natural beauty, situated upon an eminence dotted with live oak trees ; its people were elegant, refined and humane as any who ever lived. All that is left is the old colonial home of Dr. Miller and a recently erected Presbyterian church. - The History of Brenham and Washington County, 1915 by Mrs. R. E. Pennington

Location

30° 16' 18.768" N, 96° 29' 38.904" W