Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Evergreen, Texas

Evergreen was on the border of Washington and Lee counties. The area was first settled during the period of Stephen F. Austin's colony in what later became far western Washington County. In the early period of colonization the locality was called Waco Spring. In 1837 Waco Spring was the site of a famous battle between the Waco Indians and Tonkawa Indians, who had inhabited the central area of Washington County before Anglo settlement of the region. Evergreen had a post office between 1858 and 1877, and at one time had several stores, but they had closed by 1876. The exact site of the community is unknown, but it is probably covered by Somerville Lake. Map location (above) approximate. Source: Handbook of Texas Online

Evergreen, or Waco Spring, was noted chiefly as the place where the Tonkaway and Waco Indians had a battle in 1837. It was a small settlement. - The History of Brenham and Washington County, 1915 by Mrs. R. E. Pennington

Location

30° 18' 24.264" N, 96° 33' 16.668" W