Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Burton, Texas

History

Burton 1915. When the Houston & Texas Central Railroad was extended in 1871 to Austin, the settlement in the Burton neighborhood assumed commercial importance, and was named for John M. Burton.

Washington County has been the home of a greater number of men of distinction than any other county in Texas. This incomplete list of their names, without their biographies, will prove this statement: Sam Houston, Mirabeau B. Lamar, Anson Jones, Martin Ruter, W. M. Tryon, R. E. B. Baylor, Robert Alexander, W. Y. Allen, John Hemphill, A. S. Lipscomb, R. M. Williamson, Jack Hall, Barry Gillespie. James H. Willie. W. P. Rogers, B. E. Tarver, W. Y. McFarland, William Pinckney Hill, A. M. Lewis, G. W. Horton, Anthony Butler, John T. Mills, Richardson Scurry, F. W. Adams, Joe Crosby, James Weston Miller, W. H. Ewing. J. D. and D. C. Giddings, J. E. and C. B. Shepard, John Sayles, B. H. Bassett, T. W. Morriss and Seth Shepard. Dr. Gideon Lineecum, one of the State's first naturalists, lived at Long Point, where the most of his investigations were made.

Washington County has had only two Congressmen, Col. D. C. Giddings ; and the present Congressman, Hon, J. P. Buchanan, who was elected to fill the unexpired term of Postmaster General Albert S. Burleson, and is now serving his first regular term.  - The History of Brenham and Washington County, 1915 by Mrs. R. E. Pennington

Location

Burton, TX 30° 10' 55.776" N, 96° 35' 43.9008" W