Founded 1926. Had 10,000 people in 1927. Named for Geo. B. McCamey, driller of discovery well that by 1964 had led way to opening of 31 oil and gas fields in Upton County. (Discovery well is 2.3 miles north of town). Center for horse, sheep, goat ranching. Has 5 parks. Home of Mendoza Trail Museum. [Marker] erected by Upton County Historical Survey Committee. - Historical marker text. Marker erected 1964. Located about 1 mile N of McCamey on US 385.
McCamey Junior High School. Site is "Old High School," an outgrowth of 1920s oil boom. No school existed in McCamey prior to 1925, when 20 students were taught in a tin shack on 5th street. A year later school had 550 pupils in classes held in dance halls, skating rinks and 2 churches. Desks and seats were apple and orange crates. This building, erected in 1927, was community center-- setting for weddings, funerals, meetings of Draft Board, other activities. Used as high school until 1961. First superintendent, C. V. Compton, set high goals-- which since have guided the schools. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1967. Located at 112 E. 11th (corner of McKinney and 11th Sts.), McCamey.
T. P. Tavern. McCamey residents and visitors remember this site of a well-known nightclub. Co-owners Tom Bargesser and Perry Fitzsimmons used their first initials to name the T.P. Tavern in 1927. The first location near Shell Pipeline road served large crowds during an oil exploration boom. In 1934, the business moved here, accommodating more space and a wooden dance floor. Jim Sloan took over management in 1938, adding distinctive teepee insignia to the building. As part of the west Texas roadhouse circuit, the Tavern hosted regional musicians and many who gained national fame, including Ernest Tubb, Lawrence Welk and Bob Wills. Rattlesnake derbies and boxing matches were also popular before the building burned in 1976. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 2008.
Adrian Building. Western Bungalow. Built 1915, in Girvin, by R. F. Mayse, first merchant. Moved to McCamey, 1946. Mr. and Mrs. Hal Holmes: gift. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965. Marker located On US 67, Eastern edge of McCamey in Santa Fe Park.
Bobcat Hills. Named for dens of lynx (bobcats) found here 1919 by a University of Texas geology team mapping the resources of the county. These hills, cretaceous formations, are part of an uplift in the southern Permian Basin. Associated with this uplift are the oil fields of the county. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967, Located on FM 305, 7/10 mile S. of intersection with FM 1901 in McCamey.
Early Humble Camp in Permian Basin. The World's largest complex of oil wells in the 1920s was developed in this area. Key to success of this vast petroleum field lay in finding ways to convey oil to growing fuel markets. First efficient transportation came in 1925 with the laying of the Humble pipeline from Kemper Station, near Big Lake, to Comyn Station (a distance of about 500 miles), to connect with existing Comyn-Baytown system. Early camp for pipeline construction crews was built here 1926 when Humble extended its line west from Big Like Field. Camp's site led to growth of McCamey and building of a refinery. McCamey became important center of oil production and operation. A constant flow of oil went through Humble's pipeline on its long journey to the Gulf Coast. Even with use of pipeline and railroad tank cars, more oil was produced than could be marketed. New practices had to be used to prevent overproduction and waste. Thus Humble pipeline became involved in the first voluntary proration in Texas, when in 1928 producing capacity of local wells was reduced to a level consistent with transportation facilities. Today in Texas, Humble has 15,000 oil and gas wells; 9,545 miles of pipeline; and one refinery. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1967. Located on US 67, Eastern edge of McCamey, across from Santa Fe Park.
King Mountain. Probably named for Guy King, rancher who drilled first water well on top of mountain about 1900. Elevation is 3,000 feet. Part of an uplift in southern Permian Basin; associated with county oil fields. Many Indian relics have been found along the Rim Rock. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1968. Located about 3 miles NW of McCamey on US 385
Mendoza Trail. Route taken, 1683-1684, by the party of Lt. Gen. Juan Dominguez de Mendoza, whose purpose was to explore the Pecos Plains, obtain pearls from Texas rivers, and Christianize the Jumano Indians. Starting 12 miles below El Paso, the party of 35 traveled first southeast, then northeast into Texas, Crossing future Upton County. They found many pearls near present San Angelo; and at the confluence of the Concho and Colorado rivers, they founded San Clemente Mission. Two centuries later, part of Mendoza's route was taken by the Goodnight-Loving cattle trail. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967. Located on US 67, Eastern edge of McCamey in Santa Fe Park.