Kimbro was first called Cottonwood for its location on Cottonwood Creek, but when a post office was established in 1901 it was named for Lemuel Kimbro, who had been granted land in the area in the 1830s. The post office was discontinued in 1902, and mail for the community was sent to Manor. In 1907 Kimbro had a one-teacher school with thirty-nine students.
|Views of Kimbro, Texas 1907|
The Kimbro common school district was consolidated with neighboring schools to form the Manda common school district in the 1940s. Kimbro had a population of twenty-five in the 1930s and 1940s, fifty in the 1950s, and fifty in 1990. The rural community still appeared on county highway maps in 2000, but no population estimates were available. Source: Handbook of Texas Online