Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Arlington, Texas

History

When a railroad was constructed through Tarrant County it passed about three miles north of Johnson's Station and the town of Arlington was established.

There were also the hamlets of Oak Grove. Dido, Double Springs, Bedford and Miranda. All of these have been supplanted by other towns being stations on the railroads, among which are Crowley, Hand­ley, Everman. Kennedale, Kellar, Benbrook and Saginaw.

Arlington is the most prosperous of the above named towns. A tract of land was donated to the railroad and a town lot sale was held on July 26, 1876. at which time twenty-two lots were sold, aggregating $1,738.50. J. A. H. Hosack was the auctioneer and C. H. Erwin, an engineer, represented the railroad company.

The town now has a population of 4,987 people, according to the last census, but the actual population will probably reach 5,500.

The citizenship of Arlington is of the most enterprising and public spirited to be found in any town of its size in the country. The broad. well kept streets, wide sidewalks and substantial public buildings all testify to the public spirit of the people.

The town has a commission form of government, with W. H. Rose as mayor. four commissioners and J. I. Carter, city secretary.

The assessed valuation for the year 1920 was $2,225,000. It has a splendid system of water works and electric lights, proving it to be a wide-awake and up-to-date municipality. There are two state banks, with a capital of $50,000 each, and deposits aggregating nearly $700,000; two commodious, substantial public school buildings. The Arlington schools stand out, admitting the graduates to the Texas University with­ out examination. The churches are all commodious and substantial buildings, well supported and attended.

The principal public institution is Grubb's Vocational School. a branch of the Agricultural and Mechanical College, which was established by an act of the Legislature in 1917. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.

Location

Arlington, TX 32° 44' 8.4732" N, 97° 6' 29.0376" W