Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Glass, Texas

Glass is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 67 and Farm Road 203, four miles southwest of Glen Rose in southwestern Somervell County.

History

Settlement of the community probably took place in the 1890s. When a post office was established there in 1904, John D. Sanders, proprietor of both the general store and a cotton gin, was appointed postmaster. By 1910 Glass had an estimated sixty residents; that number declined to twenty-five by 1920 and to ten by 1933. Rural delivery from Glen Rose replaced the Glass post office in 1926. Glass reported fifty residents from 1939 to the late 1960s, after which no further population statistics were available. The 1983 county highway map showed Glass with one business at its site. Source: Handbook of Texas Online

Location

32° 11' 27.888" N, 97° 50' 11.904" W