Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

James, Texas

James, six miles northeast of Center on State Highway 7, is located in northeastern Shelby County.

History

James was probably established around 1890. It was named for James Rushing, who served as postmaster when the community post office was in operation from 1901 to 1905. In 1938 the community had a school that served a district with fifty-one students; around this time the town also reported one rated business and an estimated population of forty-five. In 1988 James had two churches, two businesses, and scattered residences. Source: Handbook of Texas Online

In April 1929 the community of James was struck by the same tornado that devastated Slocum

"Seventy-five persons were reportedly made homeless and one woman injured in the James community, four miles north of Center, Tex., near the Louisiana line. Many persons were treated and returned to their homes or what was left of them.  The local Red Cross was administering aid to the stricken community and most of the homeless were cared for tonight." - San Francisco Chronicle, San Francisco, CA 25 Apr 1929

"A tornado of lesser intensity swept over the James community, four miles north of Center, near the Louisiana border soon after the Slocum storm. No lives were reported lost but a woman was seriously injured and seventy-five residents were made homeless when houses were destroyed." - Times-Picayune , New Orleans, LA 25 Apr 1929

Location

31° 51' 33.624" N, 94° 6' 56.7" W