Site of Verand. Flags of six different countries have been raised over Texas. In 1519 the land was claimed for Spain, whose explorers came later in search of silver and gold, but found buffalo, Indians and mirages. They planted the red and gold banner of Spain, with its lions and castles, beside the cross of the missionaries intent on converting the Red Men. In an answer to an offer of free land by Eldorado founder W.B. Silliman, they moved five miles south to the new town. The site of Verand soon returned to its natural state. (1968-1996) - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1968. Located on US 277, about 5 mi. N of Eldorado.