First Methodist Church of Eldorado. Established in July 1901, this congregation was the first church organized in the new town of Eldorado. Early services were held in brush arbors or in the local school building. In 1903 the church erected its first sanctuary and shared it with other denominations in town. In 1938 a new church structure was erected, and the old building was sold to the public school system. Though fire damaged much of the sanctuary in 1944, it was rebuilt by 1945. The church continues to serve the Eldorado community through a variety of ministries. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1996. Located at 15 N. Divide St, Eldorado.
First Baptist Church of Eldorado. This congregation was organized by 15 charter members on September 1, 1901, and originally called the Eldorado Missionary Baptist Church. The day following its organization seven people, baptized in the South Concho River by the Rev. Ben Wilson, were added to the congregation. The first church structure was built at this site in 1906 on property donated by W. B. Silliman. A new sanctuary, built in 1928 to replace the 1906 structure, was remodeled in the 1960s. This church helped organize local minority Baptist churches and supports community-wide outreach and foreign missionary activities. - Historical Marker Text. Located at 109 W. Gillis, Eldorado.
First National Bank Building. Local investors raised $30,000 in 1906 to form the First National Bank of Eldorado, Texas. Contractors Drew and Harvey used native limestone to construct this bank building in 1907. Its Renaissance Revival style features segmented arches and exaggerated details capped by a 3-part parapet with spherical finials. The bank merged with the Eldorado State Bank in 1913 and remained here until 1942. This site subsequently became a popular pool and domino hall. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1993. Located at 109 S.W. Main Street, Eldorado.
West Texas Woolen Mills. Introduced to this area in 1883, sheep existed in large numbers throughout the region by the 1930s. Prominent local banker Joseph B. Christian and his son, textile engineer Joe Muller Christian, erected this native stone building to house the West Texas Woolen Mills. Texas Governor W. Lee O'Daniel attended the grand opening in 1941. In 1942 the plant was awarded a major World War II contract to manufacture army blankets. After a successful conversion to postwar production, the mill became a major contributor to the area's economy. The Christians sold the landmark mill in 1963. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1995. Located at 409 SW Main St., Eldorado.