Rockwall County, Texas
Cities, Towns and Communities
Rockwall County. Formed from Kaufman County. Organized March 1, 1873. April 23, 1873 Named for a curious geological formation, an underground rock wall, that comes to the surface in several localities County seat, Rockwall. Historical Marker, 1936. Marker located on the Historic Rockwall County Courthouse grounds, south side facing East Rusk Street.
Rockwall County. First settled in the 1840s, this region was a part of Kaufman County until 1873, when Rockwall County was created. With an area of 147 square miles, this is the smallest of Texas' 254 counties. The county and city of Rockwall were named for an underground formation of rock discovered in the early 1850s. Crossed by the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad, Rockwall County is an area of fertile farmland. The location here of the aluminum industry and the creation of Lake Ray Hubbard from the East Fork of the Trinity River diversified the local economy in recent years. Historical Marker Text, 1976. Marker located on the Historic Rockwall County Courthouse grounds, south side facing East Rusk Street.
Centennial Reminiscence, June 8–13, 1954: A History of Rockwall, Texas and Surrounding Communities by James L. Glenn
History of Rockwall County, 1969, by O. L. Steger, Sr.,
Rockwall County has been the home of four courthouses, all located in Rockwall. One burned, one was torn down and two are still in existence. Read more about the Rockwall County Courthouses >>