Pecos County History 1922
The location of Fort Stockton as a military post was chosen on account of its proximity to some of the most remarkable springs in the world. These springs, known as Comanche Springs, constituting the source of Comanche Creek, have a steady and unfailing flow of about fifty-five million gallons of water every day, and besides furnishing abundant supply for domestic purposes, these springs are the source of a great irrigation system now adequately watering approximately 8,000 acres of land. This development has all occurred in the past ten years, and by irrigation methods have been produced large crops of alfalfa, the grains and fruit. Fort Stockton fruits are of specially fine quality, and it is said that grape culture was first attempted by the soldiers at the old fort, and the results demonstrated in earlier years have since caused a number of land owners to set out extensive vineyards. In the northern corner of the county along the Pecos River. a large amount of land has been brought under irrigation in recent years with water obtained directly from the river and from the reservoirs. While irrigation was practiced many years ago for the raising of garden crops, it has been placed on a commercial basis only within the last two or three years, and as yet the extensive plant has only been partly developed, and it remains for future years to determine the rank of Pecos County among the agricultural sections of Texas. In 1909 the Federal census credited the county with about 2,300 acres of irrigated farm lands. With the exception of the irrigation district at Fort Stockton and along the Pecos River, the entire county is given over to large ranches and pastures. The total area of Pecos County is 2,645,760 acres, and while the census estimated over 2,000,000 acres included in farms and ranches, only 6,524 acres were classified as "improved land." The live stock interests comprised 108,577 cattle ; about 4,200 horses and mules ; 78,183 sheep ; and 8,479 goats. The enumeration in 1920 showed 62,410 cattle ; 4,697 horses and mules ; 63,130 sheep ; 10,620 goats. The valuation of property in Pecos County in 1903, before Terrell County was set off, was $4,168,579 ; in 1913, $8.072,010 ; and in 1920, $9,256,365.
- History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.