Whitt, located on Hwy 51, is east of Hwy 281 in western Parker County.
Whitt. The town of Whitt was officially established in 1877, but permanent settlement in this area had been taking place since about 1855. Originally a farming community, Whitt became a stagecoach stop for people traveling between Weatherford and Jacksboro. It later developed into a regional education center with the presence of two colleges, Whitt Seminary and Parker Institute, which operated here between 1881 and 1990. Between 1876 and 1879, Oscar Grantham donated land to the community for burial purposes. The graveyard has served as a community burial ground since at least 1879. The oldest marked burial, that of Margaret A. Gipson, dates to that year, but the presence of more than 100 unmarked graves suggests that the cemetery was active prior to that time. J.N. and M.L. Johnston made additional land donations over the years to enlarge the cemetery. Now over eight acres in size, the cemetery has more than 1,000 graves. Among those buried here are pioneer settlers and veterans of the Civil War, Spanish American War, World War I and II, Korea, and Vietnam. Since 1990, the graveyard has been maintained by a cemetery association. It is an important cultural resource in the area. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1992. Location: From Whitt, take FM 2891, 3 blocks north to cemetery.
Whitt was at one time a prosperous town on the stage line midway between Weatherford and Jacksboro. A hotel was operated for many years by the genial proprietor, A. Tulloh, who also served the town as postmaster. Many travelers stopped there, and the place was known as the Half-Way House with an excellent well which supplied water to the travelers and their famished teams. John Buster and Sons were pioneer merchants there and continued in business for more than fifty years. Isom Cranfill for many years operated a frontier bank, which was prosperous. Much of the time his ruling rate of interest was 24 per cent. - History of Parker County and the Double Log Cabin: being a brief symposium of the early history of Parker County, together with short biographical sketches of early settlers and their trials, Weatherford, Tex, 1937, page 120
Whitt Seminary. In January 1880 the elders of the Christian Church at Whitt purchased five acres of land at this site to build a community school. The Whitt Seminary opened in 1881 in a two-story rock building. By 1885 Whitt was a thriving community of about 400 inhabitants with a number of businesses and a sincere interest in quality education. Seminary enrollment was between 175 and 200 students who came from local and surrounding communities and from as far away as the Oklahoma Territory. The Seminary educated elementary through high school students and included an academic department, a music department, and a commercial school. Music courses offered included piano, organ, guitar, violin, and voice. Other courses included bookkeeping, commercial law, writing, spelling, typing, trigonometry, history, English literature, astronomy, chemistry, and Latin. The Whitt Seminary served the community from 1881 until about 1900. The facility continued to be used as a Christian church until 1937, and then served as a site for community functions, family reunions, and annual Whitt homecomings. The original five acres, Whitt Seminary building and tabernacle were deeded to the Whitt Cemetery Association in 1976. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1991. Located one block north of Town Square, Whitt.