Veal's Station, Texas
Veal's Station. Settled in 1852. Here was established in 1858 by William G. Veal (1831-1891), a leading spirit in all public improvements of the region, an outstanding school of Parker County which functioned more than a half-century. - Historical Marker Text. 1936 Centennial Marker in Gray Granite. Location: From Weatherford, take FM 51 about 13 miles, head east on Veal's Station Road, about 2 miles to markers.
Veal's Station. The community of Veal’s Station was settled as early as 1852, but it was not until 1858 that it was organized by Capt. W. G. Veal, Confederate veteran, Methodist minister, and uncle of Tom McLaughlin whose mother was a sister of the early settler. Earlier he had established a store about one-fourth mile south of where the school building now stands, and as a joke the place was called Cream Level. A year or so later the store was moved nearer to the present school site, and the name was changed to Veal’s Station.
In 1854 the residents of the community decided to build a good school building large enough that all religious denominations could meet and worship. Ox teams were sent to the piney woods of East Texas for lumber. A large bell was put in the cupola, that could be heard ringing three miles distant. The Masonic Lodge was organized and used the upper story of the building for their meeting place, and J. M. Matlock was installed as Worshipful Master and the Lodge was christened Eureka.
To the old settlers the building was as sacred as a graveyard. Many of Texas’ finest preachers have held revival services there.
Ben W. Akard was one of the community’s first teachers, and B. C. Tarkington operated one of the first stores. - History of Parker County and the Double Log Cabin: being a brief symposium of the early history of Parker County, together with short biographical sketches of early settlers and their trials, Weatherford, Tex, 1937, pages 119-120