Parker County Courthouses
Court Houses of Parker County. After the location of the county seat and the laying off of the town, and marking the lots, a sale of same was ordered to raise funds for public buildings and such other improvements as required in establishing the government of a new county. The first sale of lots, held June 24, 1856, brought $9,700.00. Second sale, August 12, 1856, brought $2,000.00
The first court house, 20x30 feet, was built by B. L. Richey in 1856 of rough pine boxing lumber hauled by ox wagon from Red River county, about 300 miles away. Judge’s desk and benches were of same material.
This served until 1858, when a brick court house 40x45 feet was built at a cost of $6,750.00, which was entirely destroyed by fire with all county records, May 12, 1874, and caused great loss and inconvenience to the public.
June 24, 1878, there was laid a corner stone for another court house at a contract price of $21,000.00. A stone structure was built. On March 1, 1884, this court house was destroyed by fire.
The fourth (present) court house contract was let June 9, 1884, which resulted in building the splendid present seat of justice at a cost of $55,555.55, which with furnishings cost $60,000.00, a duplicate of which would now cost $200,000.00. Some differences developed between Milliken and Lee, the contractors, over which Milliken killed Lee, June 15, 1885.
History of Parker County and the Double Log Cabin: being a brief symposium of the early history of Parker County, together with short biographical sketches of early settlers and their trials, Weatherford, Tex, 1937, pages 122-123