Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Dennis, Texas

History

Dennis.  Judge N. M. Dennis, lawyer-farmer, established the town of Dennis when the bridge spanning the Brazos River was constructed at that point about 1892. Later J. A. Rentz erected a cotton gin there, which is still in operation and is run by an association of ginmen. A postoffice and mercantile business were established years ago and still continue. - History of Parker County and the Double Log Cabin: being a brief symposium of the early history of Parker County, together with short biographical sketches of early settlers and their trials, Weatherford, Tex, 1937, page 118

Dennis Methodist Church. N.M. Dennis moved to Parker County from Boston, Massachusetts, in the 1890s and established Dennis Community on the Brazos River (12 miles southwest [from marker location - see below]). This sanctuary, originally located on land he donated to members of the Dennis Methodist Church, was constructed there in 1907. Church activities were important events in the community. Revivals were conducted each summer in a tabernacle adjacent to the chapel. A "dinner on the grounds" and an afternoon of singing and fellowship often followed Sunday services. The congregation welcomed new pastors and their families with a party in their honor. Called, "poundings" because members brought gifts of food, usually in one pound amounts, the celebrations were held at the church parsonage in Weatherford. The population of Dennis started to decline in the 1960s. As people moved from the area, church membership also dropped and the congregation was disbanded in June 1970. The Texas Refinery Corporation of Fort Worth bought the building in 1976 and moved it to this site. It was renamed Founder's Chapel in honor of A.M. Pate, Sr. and Carl Wollner, organizers of the company. - Historical Marker Text.  Marker erected 1980.  Marker located 12 miles northeast of the Community of Dennis and the original site of the church. Location: Pate Museum of Transportation, from Cresson take US 377 3.5 miles north.

Photos

  
Dennis School 1917 from the Parker County TXGenWeb site  

 

Resources

Location

32° 37' 7.464" N, 97° 55' 36.12" W