Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Authon, Texas

History

Authon is located 12 miles northwest from Weatherford on the old Weatherford and Graham road. It once supported a gin and school. The trade territory, adjacent thereto, is, and has been for many years, supplied by G. W. Barhum’s general store. - History of Parker County and the Double Log Cabin: being a brief symposium of the early history of Parker County, together with short biographical sketches of early settlers and their trials, Weatherford, Tex, 1937, page 116

Authon Cemetery. Named for the nearby Authon Community, located on the Fort Worth-Fort Belknap Military Road, this site first served as a cemetery for the family of Kentucky native Isom Cranfill (1831-1902). The earliest burial here was that of his 15-year-old son, Linn Boyd Cranfill (d. 1871), who was killed in an Indian attack near the family home (.75 mile south). The cemetery and adjoining land were later deeded to the Authon Church of Christ, who worshiped in a sanctuary at this site until the 1920s. Still in use, the public burial ground contains the graves of many pioneer area settlers. - Historical Marker Text.  Marker erected 1981.  Location: From Weatherford, take US 180 west about 10.5 miles, turn onto FM 113 about 5.5 miles, turn east onto Authon-Bethesda Road, (Old Authon Road), continue about 2 miles. Turn south onto Garner-Adell Road, about .25 mile to cemetery.

Location

32° 52' 6.456" N, 97° 56' 38.148" W