Woods was first called Hull's Store for C. F. Hull, who settled at the site in the early 1850s. When a post office was granted in 1854, the settlement's name was changed to Woods after Theodorick B. Wood, who served as first postmaster. A combination school and Methodist church was built before 1858. By 1885 Woods had a district school, three churches, a steam sawmill, three general stores, two blacksmiths, and an estimated population of 200. The post office closed in 1906, and by 1910 the population had fallen to 100. In the mid-1930s Woods had a church, a school, and two stores; the reported population in 1936 was thirty. The school was consolidated with the Carthage school in the 1940s, but in the mid-1960s the settlement still had two churches, a community center, and an estimated forty residents. In 1990 Woods was a dispersed community with a population of sixty-five. The population remained the same in 2000. Source: Handbook of Texas Online
Woods Post Office. This community was first known as Hulls Store—Colonel Hull the owner of this one mercantile establishment was also the first postmaster this came to be in 1858. His residence of typical pioneer style has recently been torn down and a modern residence built for Mrs. Judge Hooker, the widow of late Judge Hooker who was the second postmaster in 1876. This community also furnished one of the first constables, Sam Hooker.
Later the name of Hull's Store was changed to the present name Woods Post Office—name for a most enterprising pioneer, "Uncle Chesley Wood," who also served as postmaster. A post office remained there until the "Introduction of rural mail routes."
The community never grew to a great size, boasting only of two stores, post office, cotton gin and grain mill. Local physicians maintained private drug departments in their own offices. Continue reading Woods History from 1936 >>