Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Woods History 1936

Woods History Written in 1936

This community was first known as Hulls Store—Colonel Hull the owner of this one mercantile establishment was also the first postmaster this came to be in 1858. His residence of typical pioneer style has recently been torn down and a modern residence built for Mrs. Judge Hooker, the widow of late Judge Hooker who was the second postmaster in 1876. This community also furnished one of the first constables, Sam Hooker.

Later the name of Hull's Store was changed to the present name Woods Post Office—name for a most enterprising pioneer, "Uncle Chesley Wood," who also served as postmaster. A post office remained there until the "Introduction of rural mail routes."

The community never grew to a great size, boasting only of two stores, post office, cotton gin and grain mill. Local physicians maintained private drug departments in their own offices.

There are two churches today as of old, the first Baptist church was organized in 1865 with Rev. George Butler, pastor, and the first Methodist Church was organized in 1866 and called New Hope, with Rev. O. K. Bellamy as pastor.

Education was considered with keenest interest from the beginning of the community and some of the earliest teachers, Dr. Parson Skates and Mrs. — Martin, an outstanding educator of East Texas for a number of years. Dr. O. H. Cooper taught his first school here. He later climbed high in the ranks of "Educators." Prof. Cunningham and Prof. Etheridge are of the earliest teachers.

Continued

Location

32° 0' 30.6" N, 94° 14' 53.7" W