Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Panola County Officials 1846-1936

Elected November 1930: James G. Strong, County Judge: Sid B. Turner, County Attorney; Joe Fite, District Clerk; J. S. Gholston, Sheriff, A. J. Holmes, Jr., County Clerk; G. W. Bunyard, Treasurer; W. D. Heaton, Tax Assessor; A. O. Stanford, Collector; Mrs. Ada Jordan, County Superintendent; A. G. Watkins, Surveyor; Jesse Rowe, Homer Jones, George Furrh, and C. B. Hooker, County Commissioners: the following Justices of the Peace Precincts Nos. 1 to 8, both inclusive in order named: D. P. Donovan, J. W. Sharp, C. V. Bagley, Marvin Gulley, J. A. Edge, Jack Butler, John A. Heaton, and M. S. Steger; the following Constables in order named: Jack Todd, Jesse Matthews, John M. Jernigan, T. C. Caddenhead, Jim Twomey, Joe Davis, W. M. Porter, and W. B. Mangham.

Elected November 1932: W. R. Nelson, County Judge, J. S. Gholston, Sheriff; Sid Baker, County Attorney; W. D. Anderson, District Clerk; A. J. Holmes, Jr., County Clerk; G. W. Bunyard, Treasurer; W. D. Heaton, Jr., Tax Assessor; A. O. Stanford, Tax Collector; J. M. Griffen, Surveyor; J. L. Ross, L. D. Mangham, Pope Munden and C. B. Hooker, County Commissioners; the following Justices of the Peace, Precincts Nos. 1 to 8, both inclusive in the order named: D. P. Donovan, J. W. Sharpe, Clearence. Bagley, Marvin Gulley, Jim Twomey, T. J. Butler, John A. Heaton, and M. S. Steger. The following Constables as listed: O. J. Todd, J. J. Matthews, J. M. Jernigan, C. L. Campbell, J. A. Edge, Joe Davis, W. M. Porter, and W. B. Mangham.

Elected, November 1934: W. R. Nelson, County Judge; Fred Whitaker, County Attorney; W. D. Anderson, District Clerk; A. J. Holmes, Jr., County Clerk; Jake Browning, County Superintendent; L. M. Hunt, Sheriff; W. S. Chadwick, Tax Assessor and Collector; H. B. Williams, Treasurer; J. M. Griffin, Surveyor; W. M. Risinger; S. B. Shivers, E. E. Hill and Jim Kyle, County Commissioners. The following Justices 'of the Peace, Precincts Nos. 1 to 8, both inclusive, as listed: D. P. Donovan, J. W. Sharpe, (deceased), Pink Barber, (appointed), A. J. Titus, Marvin Gulley, T. J. Butler, J. E. Thompson, John A. Heaton, and M. S. Steger, The following Constables as named: Jack Todd, J. P. Matthews, L. H. Spradley, T. C. Cadenhead, J. A. Edge, Joe Davis, Bob Thompson, and W. B. Mangham.

These lists entered in this history present as nearly accurate record as possible to secure as to officers aid dates. Each administration may be likened to steps that make a mighty stairway, leading to the goals, steady progress in the development of the County's mineral resources, fertility of the soil, fair and friendly competition in business life, education, social, moral and spiritual for the entire citizenery.

Civic beauty and improvement begins in the front yard of the County—the Courthouse lawn and spreads throughout the 'County site, Carthage, and along the highways by farm house and to adjoining towns.

During Judge W. R. Anderson's terms as County Judge much attention was turned to scientic farming, soil preservation and proper rotation of crops. The concern of fine stock and cattle also hog raising has ever been manifested. Some of those especially interested in a larger scale are as follows: Add Forsyth, W. R. Jones, Holland Smith and Jim Kyle.

Mr. Dan Ross was the first appointed County Agent and the fruit of his work is evident to this time. Mr. Dan Foster followed serving a number of years and doing a most effective work in a diversified manner. Helping bring Panola County's agricultural wealth into all East Texas—recognition and winning blue ribbons in a number of other County fairs, assisted in this by the capable and untiring service rendered' by the County's first County Demonstrator, Mrs. Alex McAnalley, (Now Mrs. It. P. Ash), also cooperation of the Circulation Book Club.

Continued

Location

32° 9' 26.568" N, 94° 20' 14.712" W