Panola County Officials 1846-1936
Mrs. McAnalley, with her new ideas of all modern conveniences and proper canning methods for all farm products and meats, time saving devices and modernization of kitchens far the rural homes was given in such an efficient and sincere manner, she had soon won the welcome of all the rural home workers and the progress and interest demonstrated was beyond fondest expectations. She was succeeded by Miss Lucile Smith of Teague. She was quite efficient and carried on the well founded work of Mrs. McAnalley in a most satisfactory manner until the Commissioners Court deemed it wise to discontinue such for an unlimited time on account of lack of county finance. Later R. M. Hooker's service was secured and recently he was transfered to Rusk County and C. B. Potts succeeded him, and is still serving as County Agent. A County Demonstrator has not been replaced.
Mrs. A. M. Baker, one of Panola County's most efficient teachers was chosen the first County Supervisor of the County and is still giving a most valuable and concientious service to the teachers and school throughout the County.
Judge James. G. Strong's three administrations were filled with a firm determination for a substantial list of most needed improvements—roads—the need of them became the topic of conversation from County Judge down to the boys and girls of town and countryside. No negative argument weakened this undaunted determination—before his authority was tendered another, Carthage was not reached by winding roads that reminded us of the original ones of the earlier habitation, but by straight hard-surfaced highways—making Panola, Highways thoroughfares of pride, and added much to increase the business of local towns and traveling a pleasure. Bridges and culverts were constructed where needed. The Courthouse received much needed attention making it more impressive in its majestic beauty— grown more so with its age. The interior was repaired in many respects—gas was installed. The Courthouse yard was sodded with winter grass, the cement walks added a splendid contribution towards beautification. Judge Stong and his Court gave heartiest cooperation and substantial assistance to the Circulating Book Club in landscaping and placing a $225.00 planting of blossoming and evergreen shrubbery, also shade trees around the curb. It might be said too, Andy Roquemore, colored janitor gave most deligent and careful attention to the planting so that it grew and became the pride of everyone—the beauty spot of our little city. Again special interest was manifested by these officers in helping maintain the public rest room, built by the Circulating Book Club.
Judge W. R. Nelson, the present Judge is a most enthusiastic, capable, young Carthagenian by birth, with the County's every interest at heart. Signal honors have been conferred: on him in a number of the State Highway projects and his Judgeship has won him a prestige beyond his own County boundary. He was selected Secretary-Treasurer for the "State County Judges Association." His part in all public issues is for progressiveness, so long as it is conservative and benefitting the majority. With his endorsement and encouragement with that of his Commissioner's Court it is possible for this History to be compiled and an appropriate marker to be placed on the Courthouse yard, doing our part in expressing appreciation for our rich heritage and ever reminding those of the "younger generation" 'tis their privilege to carry on—and in their Chapter of History will be written deeds of service, kindness, and. they will be worthy of greater success, that is sure to come by persistent effort and undaunted determination to live in the biggest and fullest way.
History of Panola County, 1936