Carthage History 1936
Carthage's business houses are too numerous to mention each by name. There are more than fifty in number. The two oldest, that are still under their original names are Woodyard's Dry Goods 'Company, established in 1896 with Mrs. Lula Woodyard still operating the store; Hooker's Drug Store, established in. 1899 by H. T. Hooker, operated by Hooker Brothers, H. T. Hooker and V. D. Hooker, Sr. Dry goods, grocery, variety, furniture, hardware and jewelry stores are as fine as can be found in any town of this size. Electric, barber, tailor, beauty and shoe repair shops can compete with any. Up-to-date and accommodating filling stations and garages are found in convenient places with grounds that display a keen civic pride and beauty. Cafes are the last minute in their sanitation, excellent food, and courteous treatment. The city also has an up-to-date bakery and bottling works. Carthage boost many things, but traveling men boost her hotels. S. A. Hawthorn's Hotel, the "First Star Hotel" located; where Violet Beauty Shop is now located, had an important part in promoting the hotels' growth between pioneer days and today's efficiency. Mr. Hawthorn is now active in several other businesses.
The First National Bank, with J. W. Cooke, President and A. L. Ross Cashier, and the First State Bank width B. F. Payne. President and Horace Allison Cashier, take care of the city's and community's finances. These institution's have never experienced a failure and only one robbery. The wholesale grocery companies supply the city and a large territory. Ford and Chevrolet motor companies have excellent offices and show rooms in their concern's and do an extensive business. Cotton gins of the newest type accommodate the .crops of cotton growers. There are three florist shops that serve the public most satisfactorily.
Carthage's professional men are of high rank and rightly merit the loyal support of our citizens. They have and still are giving efficient service in their fields of activity. In the medical profession there are Doctors T. E. Anderson, L. C. Hooker, A. M. Baker, C. D. Baker, C. F. Hull, S. L. Boren, and Arthur Smith, Supervisor of the Carthage Hospital. Four recent doctors are C. C. Comer, J. IS. Neal, J. A. Daniels, and H. A. Ross. The three first ones are deceased and the last was a generous contribution to Longview. In Dentistry there are Doctors D. T. Allison and P. B. Koonce, each with up-to-date office equipment. The "local bar" is indeed capable of righting the wrongs. These solons are as follows: J. H. Long, P. P. Long, Travis Long, J. G. Woolworth, J. G. Strong, S. B. Turner, Sam T. Holt, Ross Duran, D. C. Canker, Fred Whitaker, and, the late B. Baker.
There are four churches of today, two Baptist with Rev. W. C. Newburn pastor of the First Baptist Church (the oldest church) and Rev. H. O. Malone pastor of the Central Baptist; the original Christian is now pastorless. Rev. C. L. Williams pastors the Southern Methodist Church.
History of Panola County, 1936