Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Palo Pinto County, Texas

Cities, Towns & Communities

Gordon | Graford | Mineral Wells (Ednaville) | Mingus | Palo Pinto - county seat | Strawn

History

Palo Pinto History 1922. This county has always been a center for cattlemen, its abundant water supply and its rugged surface affording excellent winter quarters for live stock. Many of the old-time cattle kings of Texas had their headquarters at different times in Palo Pinto County. In the wave of migration that crossed North Texas during the early '50s settlement went beyond Parker into this county, and as a result of the movement an act of Legislature on August 27, 1856, created a separate county territory. The act directed that the chief justice of Bosque County, from a portion of which and from Navarro County the territory was taken. should organize the local government. The county was organized April 27, 1857. The act creating the county directed the county officers to select the county seat and lay off a town, and "the county site shall be called Golconda." That name, so far as can be ascertained, was never confirmed and had no place in the county's geography. In 1858 the Legislature donated 320 acres of public land for county site purposes, and the county seat acquired the name Palo Pinto. Continue Reading Palo Pinto County History Written in 1922 >>

Location

Palo Pinto, TX 32° 46' 1.9992" N, 98° 17' 53.9988" W