Indians from east of the Mississippi River, probably Biloxi, settled the area sometime before 1822. They called the site Biloxi, either in reference to the Mississippi town of that name, which they had visited, or simply in reference to their group designation. In either case, the area was one of three known sites of Indian occupation in the area that become Newton County. The Biloxis continued to visit the region until after the Civil War. In 1829 Lorenzo de Zavala acquired the region including Biloxi from the Mexican government as part of a large grant to which he was to sponsor the immigration of 500 families. Settlers entered the Biloxi region shortly thereafter and established sizable plantations. Most of the newcomers eventually concentrated at nearby Belgrade, although Biloxi maintained its post office from 1853 to 1860. Despite setbacks, Newton County at one time licensed ferry operations at the Biloxi crossing of Big Cow Creek. As of the 1960s a few persons still inhabited the area just west of the site of Biloxi. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.
Biloxi Community. Settlement of this area began in the early 19th Century, as people moved into Texas from the southern United States. A post office was established in 1849, and continued settlement resulted in the building of homes, businesses, schools, and churches. Many former slaves established homes here following the Civil War. Biloxi Colored Methodist Episcopal (C.M.E.) Church began meeting informally in 1870, and Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church began in 1921. Biloxi Evergreen Cemetery dates to the 1880s. Biloxi continues to be an important part of Newton County. - Historical Marker Text. Erected 1989. Location: 2 mi. S of Bleakwood via SH 87 then 3 mi. E on FM 2460 to Old Field Rd and Biloxi Methodist.