Brushy Prairie, Texas
Brushy Prairie was established before 1900. Two schools were in operation there by the early 1900s–a school for whites with an enrollment of sixty-five and one for blacks with an enrollment of fifty-four. In the mid-1930s Brushy Prairie had a church, a gin, a blacksmith shop, a school, a cemetery, and several stores. After World War II many of the residents moved away, the school was consolidated with that of Frost, and most of the businesses closed. By the mid-1970s only a church, a cemetery, and scattered houses remained. In 1990 Brushy Prairie was a dispersed rural community. Source: Handbook of Texas Online
Brushy Prairie. The community a few miles Northwest of Dawson was referred to by the appellation of "Brushy Prairie," so called because of the bunches of cedar elm trees which dotted the prairie landscape. Brushy Prairie was at one time quite a thriving community with a church, a gin, a store and a blacksmith shop. Possibly the greatest claim which Brushy Prairie has to prominence is that it was the home of the French family, one of the members of which was "Uncle John" whose column in the leading semi-weekly paper was a well known feature for years. Others of the early settlers in and around Brushy Prairie were the A. M. Pruitt, T. S. Slater, Frank Johnston, Frank and Joe Hagle and Terry families. - History of Navarro County, 1933, by Annie Carpenter Love
Brushie Prairie Methodist Church. Organized south of Frost in 1874, this fellowship grew from earlier meetings conducted in a log schoolhouse. Originally known as Post Oak Methodist Church, it was chartered with thirty-five members under the leadership of the Rev. John J. Farmer. Brothers J. M., W. D., and E. W. Johnson, and F. M. Johnson gave the land in 1893 where the present structure stands. In 1914 the church was renamed Brushie Prairie. In 1952 the Mt. Zion Methodists joined the congregation. After 90 years the church disbanded in June 1964. An annual homecoming is held here each June. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1981. Location: from Frost take FM 667 south about 8 miles to FM 744, go west about 2 miles to FM 1578, go south about 1.1 miles to church on east side of road.