Angus History 1933
Angus History Written in 1933
Angus. The beginning of the town of Angus dates back to a switch track on the railroad erected in order that Capt. A. Angus might load hay which was shipped up and down the new railroad to feed the contractors' teams. Capt. Angus had the first hay press in this part of Texas. He was formerly chief clerk to Mr. Quinlan, vice president of the H. & T. C. railroad, previously having been terminal agent and advancing as the railroad came northward in 1871-72 from Houston. Capt. Angus lived in Corsicana many years and his family was reared here.
One of the early settlers in the Angus community was John Carr who was a brother-in-law of "Uncle Jimmie" Kerr. At this time only a few families lived between Pisgah Ridge and Corsicana, among them the Powells, Williamsons, Tatums, Pettys and Storys.
Cattle and stock raising was originally the means of livelihood of the residents of this community and cotton and grain cultivation began at a later date. There was very little land in cultivation or fenced until after the coining of barbed wire, what fences there were being made of rails. Barbed wire was introduced to this part of Texas by John W. Gates and with its introduction farming increased.
The railroad came to Angus in 1871 and immediately the community began to settle around the station and by 1874 there was a school under the tutelage of Miss Lila Blackmon. This school building was moved from time to time. The present Angus school is an attractive brick building which was built in 1921.
The first church at Angus was called Storey's Chapel, built in 1872 about one mile from where it now stands. Five of the early pastors in the church were Revs. Groves, Stepp, Thomson and King.
Some of the early settlers in Angus were the Storeys, Pughs, Lattas, Whites, Meadors, Dunns, Peacocks, Powells, Campbells, Soapes, Tiltons, Stewarts, High-notes and Knotts.
The first physician in Angus was Dr. Dave Blackmon and the first gin was owned by another member of the Blackmon family.
The names of the Angus postmasters in order of their service are as follow : P. P. Powell, Thomas Soape, Lee Stewart, Thomas Soape again and the present postmaster, Thomas Ware.
The Kent-Middleton Refinery was erected in Angus about 1908 and in 1931 is still in operation under the superintendance of Herbert Soape.
In the early days the territory south of Angus along Pisgah Ridge was the habitat of a group of the most notorious cattle rustlers in central Texas. The Edens family lead in trying to get positive evidence of their malefactions and exterminate these cattle rustlers. Due to the great number of cattle roaming the unfenced plains it was difficult to get actual proof of their cattle rustling. Until they were caught with some of the hides and heads from several muley cows, which were known to have belonged to Capt. Angus, positive evidence had not been secured. But upon finding this evidence, when they were caught red-handed, they were either killed or driven from the country, never to return.
Jesse Pugh was one of the early settlers in the community which is now Pleasant Grove. His two sons married daughters of Daniel Story, and for many years lived near Angus. A daughter of Jesse Pugh married Thomas Soape, and they also lived most of their lives in Angus. Many descendants of these families are now citizens of Navarro County.
History of Navarro County, 1933, by Annie Carpenter Love